navigation

koopman rare art

Wang Hing

Wang Hing & Co was base at Zetland House, 10 Queen’s Road, Hong Kong
1 Sai Hing Street, Canton & ShangHai circa 1854-1941.

Wang Hing was probably responsible for producing more Chinese Export Silver than any other Chinese retail silversmith. The company was also one of the first to establish a large retail emporium that grew to sell a wide variety of luxury goods.

Wang Hing & Co begun just after the 1842 Treaty of Nanking by the Lo Family who lived in Xiguan with Shameen Island in Canton where the 13 Hongs had been situated. In the late 1860’s, the eldest son Lo Kit Ping took the helm. It wasn’t until the early 1920’s that a purpose-built flagship store was decided to be built on the Queen’s Road, Hong Kong. This store was run by Lo Hung Tong.

The Lo family members insisted on designing and overseeing the quality of every item of silver that was made for them and it was from their Hong Kong emporium they fast established the reputation as the place to go to order bespoke trophies and commemorative items that became part of the thriving men’s clubs and sporting clubs that became synonymous with Hong Kong.